Causes can be distinguished as:
- • Diarrhoea, vomiting causing electrolyte imbalance
- • Shock
- • Extensive burns leading to fluid and electrolyte loss
- • Cardiac failure
- • Acute glomerulonephritis, polycystic kidney, bilateral pyelonephritis.
- • Nephrotic drugs or chemicals
- • Chronic renal failure
- • Incompatible blood transfusion, toxaemia of pregnancy
- • Calculus in both kidneys or calculus in one kidney with sympathetic suppression.
- • Blockage of uterus by carcinoma bladder, carcinoma uterus, crystals or accidental ligation of both uterus during surgery.
Slow flow of urine may not cause any debility except anxiety therefore reassurance to parents or the patient is essential.
- • When it occurs in children, it is necessary to consult a paediatrician for detecting various underlying causes. After examining, Necessary surgical intervention may be required in some cases.
- • If the cause is dehydration, intake of fluids should increase, and 8 to 9 glasses of water should be taken daily.
- • In urinary tract infection, drinking cranberry juice, or drinking few cups of green tea, or drinking coconut water will considerably help to restrict the infection. And keep the genitals clean.
- • Prevent sexually transmitted disease by practicing safe sex methods.
- • If the cause is enlarged prostate, medicine helps the free flow of urine. A surgical check-up is necessary, and if the enlargement is large and causes much discomfort, surgical removal of prostate is advised by the doctor.